Alternative Family Education (AFE) is an independent home study school provided for kindergarten through twelfth grade students and families who prefer an individualized approach to education, combined with the support of school district resources. See the About AFE page for more information. AFE is part of the Santa Cruz City Schools district.
Resource Center Phone & Hours: (831) 429-3898 / Monday–Thursday, 10:00–3:00.
• Town Hall — January 14, 2016, 7–9pm. Town Hall meetings are a chance to connect with other AFE families and also how we approve funds for activities and classes. We will follow last year's successful format where we start the meeting with snacks and time to socialize, engage in some community envisioning activities, and then make some decisions together about how to spend our fund-raised money. Kids will play in Palazzo and outside (on the big field) as parents meet in Room 2.
If you have an idea for a spring activity you would like to see the parent club help fund, please fill out a Class/Activity/Materials proposal form. The forms are in the RC on the book checkout counter. Completed proposals are due by January 4th, 2016. At the town hall meeting we will choose, as a community, what activities and materials to fund for the spring. Tea, cookies, and childcare provided.
• Be sure to check our School Calendar for all upcoming classes and events.
• AFE Families: Please subscribe to AFE's Newsletter mailing list — Sign up to receive our newsletter via email by filling out the form on our Newsletter page.
• Student Resource Directory — For the first time, Santa Cruz County youth and parents looking for support have a user-friendly online directory of local resources such as nutrition, mentoring and health.
• BSSC has become an affiliate site for Bookshop Santa Cruz. Anything purchased through this BSSC Affiliate link will be credited toward the purchase of new books for our library.
August 26 — First Day of School
September 7 — Labor Day Holiday
November 11 — Veteran's Day Holiday
November 25–27 — Thanksgiving Holiday Break
December 18–January 1 — Winter Holiday Break
January 18 — Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
January 25 — Staff Development Day (RC Closed)
February 8 — Lincoln's Birthday Holiday
February 15 — President's Day Holiday
April 4–8 — Spring Break Holiday
May 30 — Memorial Day Holiday
June 9 — Last Student Day