Alternative Family Education (AFE) is an independent home study school provided for kindergarten through twelfth grade students and families who prefer an individualized approach to education, combined with the support of school district resources. See the About AFE page for more information.
Resource Center Phone & Hours: (831) 429-3898 / Monday–Thursday, 10:00–3:00.
• New Family Orientation — April 17th, 7-8:30 pm in Room 2. This is an orientation for new families interested in AFE. Do you know someone who might be interested or be a great match for our community? Please invite them to join our staff for this event.
• AFE Talent Sharing — Friday, April 25th. (Deadline for submissions has passed.) See the newsletter for complete info.
• Town Hall Meeting — Tuesday, May 13th from 7–9pm in Rm 2. It's time to start thinking about activities, events, and fundraising for next year. Save the date and look for more info on the AFE yahoo list and in the May newsletter.
• PROM! — All AFE high school students are cordially invited to attend the Alternative Schools Prom on Friday, May 16th from 7–11 p.m. The theme is "Dreams Come True." Prom bids are now on sale (4/16/14) at the office in the big building on our campus. Tickets are $35/individual, $45/couple.
• New AFE Staff office hours: To better handle your questions and concerns that may pop up, AFE teachers now offer "office hours" to help you. The teacher listed during "office hours" serves as the point person to go to during school hours. Look for our "office hours" posted in the hallway between our offices.
We may be meeting with a family or doing paperwork during our office hours, but please feel free to knock on the door and ask for assistance.
- Monday: 9:30–3:30 Nancy
- Tuesday: 9:30–3:30 Joanne
- Wednesday: 9:30–12:00 Jasmin; 12:00–3:40 Mark
- Thursday: 9:30–1:45 Peter; 1:45–3:30 Jasmin
- Friday: 10:00–3:00 Therese
• Our Site Council meets monthly to guide AFE staff with decision making, discuss family and student needs, and organize family efforts in support of AFE. We meet on the first Thursday of the month, 11:30–12:30 in the Palazzo Studio. All students and family members are welcome!
• BSSC has become an affiliate site for Bookshop Santa Cruz Anything purchased through this BSSC Affiliate link will be credited toward the purchase of new books for our library.
• The School Calendar is our official events calendar for AFE. Check there for updates and schedule changes.
August 28—First Day of School
September 2—Labor Day Holiday
November 11—Veteran's Day Holiday
November 27–29—Thanksgiving Holiday Break
December 20–January 3—Winter Holiday Break
January 20—Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
January 27—Staff Development Day (RC Closed)
February 10—Lincoln's Birthday Holiday
February 17—President's Day Holiday
March 31–April 4—Spring Break Holiday
May 26—Memorial Day Holiday
June 12—Last Student Day